I grew up in the Lehigh Valley. I have been fortunate enough to have lived in Vermont for several years as well as lived up in the Scranton, Lackawanna County area as well. I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Scranton with a major in history and economics and my juris doctorate degree from Vermont Law School in 1981.
Fresh out of law school I became a law clerk for the Honorable James Diefenderfer, Court of Common Pleas of Lehigh County. I immediately thereafter set out to set up my own practice. I have been, for all intents and purposes, a solo practitioner with the exception of a few years when I practiced law with my daughter who has since moved to practice law in Vermont. Before that I was an assistant public defender in Northampton County in the 1980’s having tried both civil and criminal trials over the years covering everything from slip and falls to automobile accidents to homicide cases. In the late 1980’s/early 1990’s I began focusing on workers’ compensation cases. In the past 20 plus years I have focused almost exclusively on workers’ compensation cases.
I am admitted to practice law in Northampton County, Lehigh County, Federal District Court for both the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, and Lackawanna County. I am a member and past lecturer for the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, as well as the National Business Institute and Northampton County Bar Association. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to establish the Northampton County Bar Associations Workers’ Compensation Committee, and have chaired the committee over the last 10-12 years.
Community Service – My office has been the host of several interns from the Northampton Area Community College pursuing a degree in paralegal studies. I have been a lecturer and/or speaker for “Learning for Life”, which is an organization geared towards educating school age children on a variety of educational pursuits.
Civil Involvement – I have been fortunate enough to have served on Church finance committees, building committees, additional career day talks at public and Parochial schools and have been involved with coaching various sports including cross country, track and basketball. I am also a member of the East Rockhill Planning Commission.
I have a wide range of hobbies that include a great love and respect for nature including hiking, kayaking, fishing, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, etc.
I look forward to speaking with you to see if I can help you with y our legal issues. If your legal needs are within our scope of representation I can assure you, you will receive the personal care and service your case deserves. You will not be passed off to another Junior Associate, as if the case in a larger law firm. If your issues involve an area of the law that we don’t commonly practice, we will make every effort to try to find the appropriate professional who can help you.
There is no fee unless your workers’ compensation or personal injury case is successful.
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation Law
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff – Evaluation and Consultation
- Simple Wills and Powers of Attorney
- 95% of practice devoted to litigation.
- Pennsylvania, 1981
- U.S. Federal Court, 1982
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, Vermont
- Juris Doctorate – 1981
- University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania – 1978
- Major: History
- Major: Economics
- Advanced Workers’ Compensation
- Logistical Advice on Managing and Running a Small Law Practice
- Workers’ Compensation Judges’ Seminar
- How to Conduct a Deposition of an Expert Medical Witness
- The Effective Vocational Expert in Civil and Workers’ Compensation Cases
- Workers’ Compensation: Perspective from a Judge
- Workers’ Compensation Practice
- Handling the Workers’ Compensation Case from Start to Finish
- Workers’ Compensation Judges – Seminar/Reception
- Workers’ Compensation Hearings in PA: Techniques & Strategies
- The Basics of Workers’ Compensation
Actual Legal Experience
- Trial work
- Tried Civil and Criminal cases in the early 1980’s to late 1980’s/early1990’s – was Assistant Public Defender in Northampton County for 3-4 years in late 1980’s, multiple Civil Trials including automobile accidents, etc.
- Last 25 years plus have focused almost exclusively on workers’ compensation cases.
Honors and Awards
- “Select Lawyer”, chosen by peers and published in Lehigh Valley Style, 2014, 2015, 2016.